Sunday, September 13, 2009

Weekend South

This past weekend I was invited to stay a few nights down south with my brother and his wife at a beach house. It was a LONG drive but it was worth it. We were there for a surf competition, "The Gathering" hosted by The Rogue Brewery. The competition wasn't that exciting but the weekend away from work, distractions, and the hustle and bustle of the routine of life in Cannon Beach. The weather was as expected on any coastal get away but I didn't mind much. I was blessed with the master bed room, to which meant I woke up (without lifting my head) to a ocean front view. It was great! We spent the two days enjoying the surf and a moment away from our norms. I was the early riser of the house so I was gifted with a few hours in the morning, alone, silent - just listening to the ocean and sipping my french press. It was great, I got to spend some much needed time in the word and much needed time to myself. My brothers good friend Kainoa was in the competition (the reason we were there) and he won his division, he is an epic surfer.. the best I have seen or surfed with. My brother and Kai and I found a fun right under the Newport bridge, the surf was thumping on the jetty so we took the shark invested waters under the bridge. The seals were literally feet from us at all times, a bunch of them.. to which is comforting knowing if they are there .. some big white toothed monster isn't. Well it was comforting until Kai went white and big eyed paddling over to Joel telling him to look big. We got a tad sketched for a sec but didn't pay to much attention to it and I'm glad we didn't we had a blast.

No comments: