Sunday, August 30, 2009

"is this what a weekend feels like?"

I can't ignore the fact this summer has been crazy. Crazy doesn't even do it justice. This summer is quickly coming to an end but as August shuts its doors, I welcome September more than most students. September for me = warm nights, good surf, less work, and school is way down the list of worries. This past week was hectic, coupled with too much time driving, emotions running high, and work being super consuming. FINALLY comes a free weekend. A full weekend.

Friday night Micah and I closed the surf shop and as the rain started to ware on us - we planned our next two days off. I got home and was ready to accept the weekend! I came home to a house full of family friends rolling about their trip to Alaska the prior week. Late that night Travis cruised into town and after watching 20 min of a flik I was out. The next day starts the weekend events of fun with friends. Travis and I walked out to one of the best places to watch some pitching waves getting destroyed by some epic guys who rip. Then continued to coffee, then blackberry picking in the pouring rain. We got home with POUNDS of berries and ran out of ideas with what to do with them. We started with a blackberry crisp, then blackberry ice cream and then decided it was time for a beach break. We walked Maddy down to the beach and I ran into an old high school teacher of mine :) Then we continued on our walk and snapped numerous images of maddy-mo. We got home, crashed then rallied to a "parent party". It was a celebration of a few birthday and an excuse to cook up some salmon the boys caught on their Alaska trip we like to call - "Man Camp". I truly love hanging out with my parents friends, they are a hoot! A ton of food, a ton of people and a great amount of laughter - good times for sure. After a good day of relaxation we called it a night.. ending it with "Pursuit of Happiness" and "Hitch"... I think I maybe saw a collective 30 min of them :).

Sunday morning rolls around and after I slept in till 7:30 it was time to make some grub and meet Micah. I made hot cereal with.. yup you guessed it blackberries! Micah got to the house and we jumped on our way to Portland. Travis, Micah and I went speed shopping. Travis just tagged along as we checked off the "to buy boxes". We got to Portland super quick and headed to grab some coffee. Trav took us to this place called the Ace and we had Stumptown on the bottom floor. It was so good!! I loved it. We sat around and enjoyed each others company while we sipped our joe. The hotel had a photo-booth in it.. so of course we jumped in! After Stumptown we hopped on the Max and browsed the Sat. Market. Then we realized the shops had opened and we were on our way back into town to hit the stores. From 11 - 1 we went to every store we wanted and bought everything we went to town to buy. It was great. After getting some new clothes we headed for lunch at McMins. We stopped by a few stores to say hi to old friends and then jumped in the car to meet up with Garrett to hit the wake. We met up with the boys, drove to the Slew and hung out in the sun for a few hours. I truly love wakeboarding. Being on the boat is simply enjoyable! Micah and I laid in the front, soaked the sun and acted like we were kids again (so fun pretending your in an airplane). The boys were landing 360's, tantrums and clearing the wake with all sorts of crazy grabs. It was time to head home and we said our goodbyes and got on our way. Micah and I were famished so we stopped at Sweet Tomato and grubbed. Tasty little stop that has a ton of memories of our years of LCYSA Classic Soccer.

It was such a great day. What a weird feeling to have NO schedule, NO work, NOTHING!! Micah and I had a blast getting to spend some good quality time together and enjoy a day off. We needed it big time. Sometimes being with your best friend is such a humbling experience. We don't spend enough time just the two of us like we used to. We let work and other priorities take reign on things. Oh we had a blast today! We had a running joke all day.. " Is this what summer feels like?" We were laughing all day, it was great. The ride up was full of old school songs, inside jokes, dances and flat out joy. The day was filled with great memories, relaxing mood, and fun company. The drive home was one big "remember when" story - so great.

No comments: