Thursday, August 20, 2009

Matthew 10:39


"He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it. "

I found myself perched on the lower bench, cozy- between two trails, hidden yet perched on the edge looking over the coastline blanketed with a heavy fog. My eyes were as heavy as the reflected weather, my mind as loud as the coupling ocean. You couldn't see the swell, nor could you the sand but by the sound you knew it was there. You couldn't see my racing thoughts, nor could you the occupied subject but by the sound you knew it was there. My morning was empty, no work needing to be done, no surf to be had, no burdens weigh. I sit perched-reading. I sit perched-sipping. With a steaming thermos of coffee, a worn out bible, the sun starting to peer over the trees and the fog securing my wandering mind - I find myself content. Though this time of content, lost in the word and warmed by the rising sun lasted for a short moment, it was a glimpse of where my priorities should be. My days constantly fill with the distraction of work and where work leaves cracks, visitors fill. My morning starts as the sun rises and my eyes won't stay open much past the sun sets. I let my days melt into weeks without my eyes fixed in the word and my mind soaked in prayer. As subjects in my life that I had braided into my path come unraveled without notice, I realized that the foggy morning alone put my heart in check where my focus should be. It should never wander from my father, it should never be occupied by a subject nor a person that does not bring me closer to my ultimate savior.

1 comment:

StephieAnne said...

Well said! I so relate! While I LOVE the festivities and fun of summer, there's something to be said for the routine and consistency that fall brings. It is very much needed in my life!