Tuesday, September 22, 2009

September Summer!

Wow what a day! I feel like I have skipped out on recording the past few days. Like the shop BBQ we had, the Cannon Beach stroll Micah and I took (taking full advantage of being 21 in a town that allows open containers on the streets), and the past few days with my niece Taylor. BUT I absolutely can't go without recording this one! A full day and I mean full at the beach, in the water, with friends, with family and I swear record highs. And this is a record high for consistent heat I tell ya.I started the day (yesterday) with a morning run, a brisk walk with Taylor and Mom, and a quick change of scenery to Short Sands (a favorite beach). I met up with Micah and we ran into Brittney at the parking lot. The three of us then stumbled across Lauren (a fellow instructor) and though she was working that day it was fun to have us all at the beach. Micah and Brit and I posted up at second creek and started our "summer vacation". We paddled out with my new waterproof camera and though we were all in our wetsuits (at first) the water was warm...not very clear due to the kelp but once you got passed the shore break it was clear again!
We had a blast, kill'n the tiny waves and simply enjoying the beaming sun and time together. After snapping some images, catching some fun waves, we all decided it was tanning time. We pealed off our wetsuits and oiled up (bad idea!). So... we love the sun but no denying we are coasties... we can't handle it for too long. After baking for about an hour we decided it was surf time again but we all left our wetsuits on the rocks and trunked it! Boo-ya!
No lie it was not cold. One of my favorite waves of the summer was yesterday, a long left, Brittney right behind me (PARTY WAVE!), no wetsuit, and some crazy seal kickin it in the shallows. We surfed for about 30 min with out getting chilled and then a long lull came and the shivers set in. It was so hard to stay on the board due to our smart idea to oil up while tanning, though the aspect sucked it kept my belly from getting chaffed :) After another sun session, snacks, and a cold one - we called it a day. The three of us headed home after meeting up with a few other friends along the way and here comes the next adventure.I got home, grabbed my long board, and skated to the beach to find my Mom, Sis, and Tay. On my way to the beach I caught up with Steph - which is always fun to actually talk on the phone... phone tag at its best usually. I caught up with them for a bit on the beach and once Dad came home from work it was off to the next thing. We all rounded up blankets, chairs, dinner, snacks, and surf gear to spend the night at Indian Beach. Dad and I ramped into the waves right away and it was Dad's first time IN A MONTH getting in the water due to his back. By this time the tide at dropped and the swell was shore break - so non the less it was a short session .. but always fun!

Then came the bonfire, s'mores and oh ya some dinner. Mom had packed chicken, pot stickers, carrots, fruit, and things upon things. It was great, it never dropped below 75 even when the sun said goodnight :) We finally left the beach when it was pitch black and here comes the next adventure.

It was so warm that there was no way I would be sleeping in my bed tonight. Maddy and I posted up on the front porch and after watching the stars for a few hours my eyes finally shut. I woke up in the middle of the night -- way too hot! I was in a T-shirt and a sleeping bag... and still way too hot! Come morning I was woken up by the sunrise and my Mom and Dad coming out with a cup of coffee :) Soon Jess woke up and there was the four of us sitting out on the deck, drinking coffee and just enjoying this September weather. It was great! And now comes today -- full of adventures I hope!

No comments: