Friday, November 27, 2009

Family Feast

It's a blessing to see the whole family gather together, even after all of these years. One of my favorite things this year was just being humbled by the closeness of my little cousin and I. He was the first baby in the family that was far enough from my age to what would make him in my mind - "my little baby". I took him everywhere, I always bought him presents and went to visit that side of the family when I was in high school to be there for him. He is now a sophomore in high school and even though he is in "that stage" of his life he is still not too old to sit on my lap, arms wrapped around me and ask me for advice - I love it! The day of Thanksgiving was a blast. Ryan and I got up super early and got in a good cross training run (due to the storm - we had obstacles). After the run - the fun was full steam ahead. This year we decided on eating around noon so everyone could make it home before too late. It was a craze. So much food - so many desserts. We definitely have leftovers but not near as many as I had thought - good work Nelson's! After dinner we played some good family games and watched a DVD papa put together of '09 for our family thus far. It was pretty entertaining. Each family sort of trickled out the door here and there and it was a great relax time after all the hustle and bustle to just have it "us" + my grandparents. We all watched Miracle on 34th Street and soaked in the last minutes of Thanksgiving seeping into the first moment of Christmas in full gear! Come Friday it was just time to kick it with the family and graze on the left overs :) It was a day full of saying the usual "hello's" to the town and embracing the smiling faces that are always good for a huge hug and a "I've missed you" - even though I was home just a few weeks ago. It was a pretty low key day, but it was for sure a quick switch of seasons for us. Dad pulled out the decorations, Grandma and Grandpa were visiting old friends down at the Inn, Mom was packed up Fall and Sis and I danced to our favorite Christmas songs. I wish I could have caught it on tape. Nsync -"Happy Holidays" playing as we slid around with our socks as ice skates on the hard wood floor :) The day went by super slow - which I loved. Ryan and I played a little Sequence while enjoying a good 'ol White Russian. We all fell asleep to yet another Christmas movie. I snuck in to brush my teeth when I thought everyone was asleep - I peered into the room my grandparents were crashing in to make sure they were ok. And my grandpa was sitting on his chair, reading his bible softly under his breath as my Grandpa sat silently on the bed. It was the cutest thing ever! I absolutely loved having everyone in town but its nice to have a quiet house again.

3 comments:

ryanjess said...

ah-HA! You rock sis. I had no idea you were blogging this day. Nice work! And best thing about the Sequence game (besides the white russians). . .? I won. Haha. --Ry

StephieAnne said...

Oh, such a great summary of good family times! You want to hear funny? Brayden took a pic of Sydney in a similar position last night wearing a Santa hat.......! I've got so many pictures to put up - ah, the busy-ness.....!!!

j.nelson said...

Ya my ploy was to make a stiff drink Ry and see you fail, but I should know better than that. Ha.JK. Loved our time together and I wish we both didn't get sick so we could have ran more mornings together and ditched Jess and Haley (hehe. I love you sis).

Miss you guys so much already. Ry this blister of mine.. dude you'd be proud how strong it's holding--still looks the same. nar nar.


STEPH! Let's see the pics... come on already!