It was a beautiful night and to be honest since we had been back from Hawaii the weather was perfect! It was fun just being able to catch up and see each other again. After our sunset walk we headed back to the house for more fun with the family. It took Taylor a long time to warm up to Will being around but on the way down Ryan and Jess were adamant on teaching her how to say his name .. it was a nice little touch. After a few days she was all about feeding Will plastic hot dogs and pointing out who he was.. though his name was more of a Wheel than a Will ;)
It was fun showing Will around Cannon Beach and introducing him to a lot of people who of course in a small town were very curious to know who I was with. We went on a ridiculous amount of walks, but I was all about it. We walked up behind Cannon Beach one night along Elk Crick to let Maddy Mo swim a little. Our time on the bridge was one of my favorite times of the week. Just sitting, talking, asking, clarifying -- all good! We did a lot of walks around town, on the beach, out in the woods, and I took him to The Point to watch some good surf. The swell was pretty perfect for him to get a grip on the local riff raff and how good they really are. One morning we went out to Wanda's for breakfast. Hands down a local best and a secret to most. So good! We hit up Waves of Grain bakery a lot, a favorite of us both. Actually the first place I ever took him (last summer). Pretty much all week we hung out with friends and family and Will got a big taste of what it's like to grow up in a small town. There wasn't one moment or one adventure we went on where we were stopped by someone who hadn't seen me in a few months.
On Wednesday we decided to head to Portland. After my roller coaster of deciding what to do, we were finally off. We drove in just in time to grab Andrew and head to dinner. The three of us went to Rock Bottom Brewery (sooo good) and then off to the next adventure. We were planning on going to the blazer game but after dinner we had realized time slipped from us (dinner was so fun) and the game was in only 30 min and we still hadn't gotten tickets. Plan B. We were planning on meeting up with Allie for a double date at The Zoo Lights but she was MIA. So the three of us were going to go then Andrew got the call. Reid and Scott were in town as well. The three of them went out for a drink and that left Will and I on a date :) We were off to zoo lights. We got the tickets for the train... a different experience. I hadn't been on it before and I would say 1.) it wasn't a waste of time BUT 2.) I wouldn't spend the extra 2 bucks for it again. All in all -- Will and I decided that the best way to explain zoo lights was "oddly entertaining". After zoo lights we were off to Powell's Books. We both are big fans. We dinked around Powell's and were off for some coffee. After a multitude of failures (closed shops) we finally found one. Then after a serious of events we were back on the road to Cannon Beach at 12:00 a.m. (smart? no not really) Andrew stayed in Portland with the boys and we were coast bound. Thursday was so fun. We started it off with Waves of Grain and some fun run ins with old friends. Then I was off to lunch with a high school pal and Will was off for lunch with my Mom. After lunch was time with Max and Will. Max is my best guy friend from .. well life. We watched the end of Band of Brother's (a theme of the week) and had coffee and brownies. Than it was time to decide what we wanted to do for New Year's Eve. A date - duh!
We were just about out the door when Will stopped and goes.. "Are we going on a date?" "Umm, yeah..." "Well why aren't we dressing up?" "Let's do it" Instead of jeans and sweatshirt, due to Will's idea we were out the door in our "done up" do's. I was stoked. Just the two of us for the night. I got in the car and the song that was playing was by Michal Buble covering the song "you look wonderful tonight". The first few lines were so funny because it was exactly what had happened just moments ago. Ahh Will :) We were than off for a night together...or so we thought. Yeah I know - who think's they can just walk in on New Year's Eve.. haven't you ever heard of reservations! After a few failed attempts - we "settled" for The Wayfarer. I only say settled because our night alone was going to change. The Wayfarer is a very swank place to eat in town and one of my favorite might I add. But my parents think that as well. We were sat right next to them, totally by chance. But wait -- not just my parents! But my parents, the Vonada's (family friends), the Clark's (my dad's boss), and the Purdey's (family friends). But don't let that fool you -- IT WAS A BLAST! No matter the company around us we were on a date and we loved it.
We both had halibut, mine was cedar planked and his was in a dill butter sauce. I had a great glass of wine and even though Will was offered, he so "maturally" refused (and yes we were sat in the bar). Dinner was so great. Our server was a good friend of mine and our bill was less than expensive. Our entire bill was cheaper than my meal alone. Will was very glad to see that I bet! It pays off to be in a small town sometimes :) After dinner we were back at the house to play pool and lay low. Come 15 min till the end of '09 we were off for one last beach walk. It was blustery out but it had seized on the down pour. We walked on the beach and just as I looked at my watch to see our countdown, we heard it! We were right in front of the Hallmark and the 10.9.8.7.6.5.4.3.2.1 was happening. HAPPY NEW YEAR! Just as we walked in front on the motel. Perfect timing. Bottle rockets were being blasted from the balconies over our heads and horns and whistles were being blown. We walked home and just as we got on our street the rain started. I loved it. We stood outside our house and danced in the rain. We danced to Will humming, Micheal Buble - Everything. It was too good! I'd say it was a good way to ring in the new year :)
Come morning it was time for our annual swim! Will was a little hesitant to what it entitled but come time he was all game. I love this tradition and I would hate it if I missed it. The water temp was around 49 this year (pretty warm for this time of year) so honestly it wasn't that bad. Such a fun time. After the swim it was back to Wave's and then time to watch the Rose Bowl. It was the game, then dinner and the inevitable farewell. Such a good last week of Christmas vacation. Eugene here I come!

No comments:
Post a Comment