Saturday, December 26, 2009

12.22.09. Last day with Sis and off to the blow hole

The reality of the end of this trip as set in. Today Jess and Ryan left and even though they caught a red eye and had most of the day it was a looming realization that the departing was starting. We all decided to do something different for the last day. We piled in the cars and headed North to the blow hole. On the way we stopped at the bay again so Mom could see the scene. By this time I have grown annoyed by the story and rather have just passed by it but it’s still an epic break and an amazing view so I was down to stop again. Especially if it meant more time out of the car and less time stuck in it. Eww I hated that car. We continue North and stop at the blow hole. Oh wow was it stunning. We started the trek and took the scenic route on the edge of the cliff. I was impressed that Dad carried Taylor on his shoulders on most of the trip. It was bloody hot up there and not a cloud in the sky. What amazing views a full 360 of greatness. I know we were walking to see the blow hole but honestly the entire trip was as majestic as the blow hole. Let alone the whales were amazing and we were so high up that uhg it was such a cool view looking down on them from such a distance. We got down to the blow hole - - well we didn’t get down to it because of Tay bug needing to get back, it was so hot, I mean hot. As Ashley would say. “This heat… it’s so hot.” Hehe! The swell was working enough to where we could definitely see the blow hole but we could also just imagine it’s potential on a large swell. Kai said every year there is at least one or two kooks that fall in there and die, he always has some insight to these places we go. There was a sign at the beginning of our trip that was in Hawaiian, we wanted to know what it said -- Kai knew! After a great family hike in the sun at one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. It was time to check out a surf spot we saw tucked in the hills. We pulled in and I fell in love. We walked passed a fruit stand that caught my eye. We all sat in the shade and cooled off from our hike and watched a local boy catch a few waves. We had no idea where we had stopped and wondered how the swell broke inside the bay. There was a little creek for Tay to play in and Ryan and I walked around trying to smash coconuts. We finally got one and it was rancid. It slammed open and was rank with maggots everywhere.. if you have ever smelled a rotten coconut you know! On our way back to the car I had to stop at the stand, well “Da Shack” to be exact. I got a fresh star fruit and coconut. The guy stood there, slashed it with a machete, drain the coconut water in an ice cup for me, cracked it into pieces with a hammer and shucked it - bagged it and handed it over. It was like a dream come true, a ma and pa fruit stand in a little bay tucked in between the hills of Hawaii. With all my needs in hand we were off. We got back to the condo and started the dreading packing. After a little pick up we were back to the beach to sun bathe. Unfortunately this was also the day I got the dreaded bill for my board damage. Life happens but that was a big one to swallow. Big one. We were all packed and off to dinner. Mom and Dad had date night and the rest of us went to Aloha Mixed Plate. It wasn’t the best thing I have ever been to but it was good. Plus it was right next to a luau that was going on and beachfront - so the atmosphere was super. We sent Jess, Ryan and Taylor on their way - sad…. We then met up with Kai and some of his buddies for drinks at Kimo’s. It is honestly hilarious how the story tends to unfold even more when Kai and I get together. So we were discussing the happenings and all that was involved when one of the boys chimes in and goes wait this happened at Honalua? You hear about the 20 foot tiger shark cruising the bay the last few weeks. Both Kai and I sorta stop and .. uhh say what? Yup that’s right as I was bleeding into the water, paddling my little toosh back the shore - mr. shark was looming. Phew I still have my limbs! When we got back Joel and I headed down the shores to catch some good pics, it was fun teaching boofer all about camera's and how they work and all that jazz. Good bonding time I tell ya!

No comments: